Architecturally, research revealed that throughout the 18th century and into the first decades of the 19th century, the site present-day South Dennisville (the fast ground south of where the causeway would cross the creek) was largely the private domain of the Ludlam family. With the construction of new causeways and bridges over the north and south branches of Dennis Creek after 1789, and the re-routing of the stage route through South Dennisville about 1800, the complexion of the local economy (and with it, the cultural landscape) changed dramatically. James J. Ludlam erected a blacksmith shop and tavern to take advantage of the new highway traffic, and new houses began sprouting up around the intersection of the main Bayshore Road and County Road and along both sides of the Bayshore Road, southward towards Goshen. By the 1870 the main proponents of Dennisville's maritime and commercial interests had made South Dennisville their principal place of residence. The owners of the three shipyards, J.H. Ludlam, R.S. Leaming and L. Edwards, all occupied houses on the Bayshore Road to the south of the creek. Maps of the time show buildings lining both Route 47/Delsea Drive/Bayshore Road and County Road, many of them labeled with the names of ships' captains and families involved in the shipbuilding industry.
South Dennis Union Cemetery
Here stands the Monument and Grave site of John Grace, hero of the Revolutionary War. John was described by General George Washington as "His trusted scout, that the British could not buy". The monument was dedicated by the school children of the county. "Museum Collections Menu" - Union Cemetery.
Union Church currently South Dennis Methodist
On the corner of the Union Cemetery and School House Lane, once stood a Meeting House originally owned by the Ludlam Family and referred to in early writings as the "Dennis Creek Landing Chapel" and later as "Union Church". This small structure provided early education and a Sunday School which was organized by Methodists and filled many other community needs. Before changing its name to the Union Church it provided services for those of both confederate and northern views prior to the Civil War. It was the first church to permit the use of its building by other denominations. "Museum Collections Menu" - Historic Churches.
Today South Dennis is notable for its surviving body of 19th-century and early 20th-century architecture. Since it was home to families who had prospered as a result of the developments at Dennis Creek Landing, the buildings are evocative of South Dennisville's significant historical associations with the regional shipbuilding and cedar harvesting industries, coastal trade, and the economic and political development of Cape May County during the 19th century.